Outstanding academic advisor award
Academic advisors are a vital part of student success. This award recognizes a member of the academic advising community that exemplifies high quality work and has made a significant impact in their position as an academic advisor. The acknowledgement of outstanding academic advising through the Advisor Institute encourages greater support of those academic advisors going beyond and reinforces the importance of advising excellence in our day-to-day work.
The Outstanding Academic Advisor Award will be awarded to one member of the UNC Charlotte advising community during the annual all advisor training during the end of the spring semester. The award recipient will receive an award plaque and will be nominated by the Advisor Institute for the NACADA Region 3 Advisor Primary Role award for the following year.
Eligibility for Nomination
- Any faculty or staff member who serves as an academic advisor to students is eligible to receive this award.
- Nominee must have a minimum of one year of service to UNC Charlotte at the time of nomination as a full-time employee with on-going academic advising responsibilities.
- All students, faculty and staff are welcome to submit award nominations
- Complete the nomination form, posted below, by Friday March 27, 2020 deadline
- Finalist will be notified before award announcement on May 15, 2020
Characteristics of an Outstanding Academic Advisor
- Provide accurate and timely information about degree and career-related requirements.
- Empower students to make independent and informed decisions.
- Be knowledgeable about policies and procedures.
- Make appropriate referrals.
- Use advising tools to provide innovative solutions and intentional outreach.
- Contribute to the UNC Charlotte advising community.
- Involvement in continuous professional development.
Will consist of members of the UNC Charlotte advising community who have been involved with the Advisor Institute. In future years, the past year’s recipients will also serve on the selection committee for the year following the receipt of their award.
- Nominations will be due by Friday March 27, 2020 by 3pm
- Application for 2019 - 2020 Coming Soon!
Past Award Winner:
2017 - 2018 Michael Abel, University Advising Center
2018 - 2019 Gina Kelley, College of Computing and Informatics